I take my first point of reference from crowds and large gatherings of people, looking for the detail in the ordinary but also the commonality within the group. Photographs are used to still movement and to reveal details, these photographs are then used to create drawings.
I sew these drawings onto fabric using a sewing machine. I use transparent fabric and I leave loose threads, thus revealing and celebrating the process of sewing. Transparent cloth allows me to layer the drawings on top of each other and so to build up a crowd which allows us to see through it.
My work also includes screen printed buildings, windows, roofs and skylines. These elements create a sense of atmosphere and build links between the people and their location. The black line of the thread is a seductive one, raised from the surface it is tactile and slightly fuzzy at the edges, velvety. This is one of the things that draws me to the sewing machine rather than the pencil.
The still underrated craft of embroidery is used to transport the viewer into others lives.
Photo by Nikki Price.
- DAD Artists at home
- Rosie James
- Joined Up bunting at Legacies of the First World War Festival in Cardiff
- All inked up
- 10 artists 10 works for the DAD 10th Anniversary Newspaper
- Let’s get together
- A brilliant night
- Inspiration=Dover the event
- INSPIRATION = DOVER: preparing for the exhibition
- DAD launches Colouring Book
- Louisa Love at the Kent Miners’ Festival
- Drawing and stitching at Dover Transport museum
- Stitching and drawing at White Mill
- Drawing and Stitching at East Kent Railway
- Drawing and Stitching at Deal Town Hall
- Mid project gathering
- Drawing and Stitching at St Margarets
- Joined-up artists getting into the swing of things
- Drawing and stitching at Sandwich Guildhall
- Drawing and Stitching workshops at Aylesham Heritage Centre
- Stitching workshop at Dover Museum
- Save the dates: Drawing and Stitching Workshops
- Drawing and Stitching workshops at the PWRRQR
- Drawing and Stitching at Drop Redoubt
- Rosie and Marcia’s second visit to Dover
- Rosie and Marcia’s visit to Dover
- Keep Going
- Exciting upcoming events
- The Voyagers exhibition: press release
- The Voyagers workshops
- The Voyagers: Exhibition
- The Voyagers: press release
- The Voyagers