Dover Arts Development is very excited to announce an upcoming concert presented by celebrated virtuoso violinist Peter Sheppard Skærved at the National Portrait Gallery in London.
Nautical threads examines Dover’s long nautical history through a range of connecting cultural and educational activities involving visual artists, writers, poets … The project took place in 2014 and has provided the participating Dover District schools with an inspiring cross-curricular focus for curriculum topics and themes.
- Artists and organisations will be better able to work with schools and understand their needs
- Teachers will learn new skills from arts specialists and be able to use them to inspire learning in their schools
- Children and young people will learn how to work collaboratively with people of different ages and backgrounds. They will build a “toolkit” of skills that will help them to communicate ideas and motivate others.
- Creative piece of writing to inspire response to narrative and pupils own writing and drawings written by Corbyn Matthews Crow: The story Knife has been narrated and recorded by Barry O’Brien of Dover Tales.
- Collaborative textiles piece made in response to the story and the nautical theme, using pupil’s drawings as the basis for the composition
- Artist-led lantern event with Dover Rowing Club for all participating schools
- At least 10 young people completing Arts Award and sharing skills
- More schools achieving Artsmark
- Exhibition of textile work
- Arts award training for teachers
- Workshops for teachers and pupils
- Concrete poetry (shaped poetry)
- Creative writing
- Location drawing
- Additional workshops to be confirmed as the project progresses
Ewan Golder has done a brilliant job with the Nautical Threads project film.
Expanded exhibition of textile work by students from across the district in Dover library.
An exhibition of textile pieces by pupils from schools across the district.
- Pupils’ textile work on show at library
- Pupils join seafront street theatre to tell story of ghost ship
- Bright Youngsters in Glowing Tribute
- Seafront lanterns to light up evening of drama and stories
- Schools are set to light up sea front for rescue
- Primary pupils are in good shape for poems
- Nautical art for all